A 5-watt tube amp is one of the low-watt tube amps known as compact combos or lunch box combos. These amps are now catching the attention of young guitarists gigging in their bedroom with their hopes and dreams tied to their guitars.
This amp is 50 times as loud as the 50-watt tube amps. But, it is not loud enough to get into a real-life gig with drummers and other artists. The 5-watt tube amp is not quite good enough to be used in concert.
Are 5-Watt Tube Amps Loud Enough?
Choosing the perfect 5-watt tube amp for your gigs involves an important question: is it loud enough?
A 5-watt tube amp is loud enough. Some products even provide you with enough sound that you don’t need any extra support. This being said, you would love the amp.
The 5-watt combo with a regular 1×12 speaker will not give you enough volume to play beside drummers, even during rehearsal. This is because they are created to be used at optimal volume levels in your home and for bedroom practices only.
So, at this moment, let’s focus only on the guitar practices you do in your bedroom, which involves low-watt tube amps, especially the 5-watt tube amps.
Best 5-Watt Tube Amps
If you are a beginner, the most important thing is to find the difference between combo amps and amp heads. Combo amps are the combination of both the speaker and the amplifier. Whereas, the amp heads are literally the brains of the amplifier and they need to be attached to the cabinet to create sound.
Here are the five best 5-watt tube amps for future guitarists.
Fender ’57 Custom Champ 5W 1×8 Tube Guitar Amp Lacquered Tweed
- A wide variety of playable tones inhabit this hand-wired performerfrom crisp, classic cleans to naturally compressed overdrive that responds remarkably to guitar volume and picking dynamic changes
- Renown for its flexibility, ease-of-use and knockout tone this is the classic sound heard on thousands of recordings
- Renown for its flexibility, ease of use and knockout tone this is the classic sound heard on thousands of recordings
- A wide variety of playable tones inhabit this hand wired performerfrom crisp, classic cleans to naturally compressed overdrive that responds remarkably to guitar volume and picking dynamic changes
This ’57 custom champ is famous among future rock stars. It might not be the cheapest one, but it’s definitely a top contender in producing high-quality sound. Even in its most enduring moments, this product tends to give an incredible sound record.
The tubes used in this masterpiece include one 12AY7, one 12AX7 (pre-amp), and one 6V6 (power amp). This makes it one of the best amps with a signature sound. Even experienced musicians can recognize it from some distance.
This product is built with exquisite craftsmanship. This is one of the reasons for the amp being an expensive one. But, apart from its cost, this product is good quality and won’t disappoint you.
Monoprice 5-Watt Guitar Combo Tube Amplifier (611705)
- As the title indicates, this guitar amplifier features a 5-watt tube power amplifier and a Celestion brand speaker.
- It uses a ECC83/12AX7 preamplification tube and a 6V6GT power tube for the amplifier section, plus a Celestion Super 8 GBA-15 speaker.
- The amplifier handles frequencies between 80Hz and 10kHz, with hum and noise -75dB below the rated power and 0.5% total harmonic distortion.
- It includes a Low input and a High input, with the former attenuating the signal by approximately 50% and the latter being easier to overdrive.
- While tone is always debatable, the increased dynamic range and even-order harmonic distortion of tubes produces the better sound.
Monoprice might not achieve top ratings in customer satisfaction, but it provides a fantastic vintage-looking amp at a reasonable price. This combo amp uses 8-inch Celestian speakers, known for their manufacturing. This is why this product is on this list.
This tube amp is easy to use and guide, and it creates an increased dynamic range and evenly ordered harmonic distortion when you play with it. It also provides you with many unique tones.
This Monoprice product is recommended for those who are on tight budgets and looking for the best amp in their price range.
BUGERA G5 5-Watt Class Amplifier Head with Infinium Tube Life Multiplier Morph Eq Reverb Black, (G5INFINIUM)
- 5-watt Class-A Tube Amplifier Head with Infinium Technology
- Power Attenuat
- Mph EQ
Bugera is famous for its handmade products. The way the product balances the sound and gives versatility to your tone is a sure thing to mention here. The product is designed with a rebellious MORPH EQ to sweep between the USA and British EQ-style tone.
This amp also gives a high-quality reverb with a reliable reverb control. The compact size, high gain, and production of vintage tones are the other critical talkable traits of this product.
Customers have exclaimed that the total functioning of this amp is flawless, and the tones and feel while playing is breathtaking. However, the cost of this product is higher than the regularly affordable price.
CALIFORNIA TONE RESEARCH SET5 Single End Tube Guitar Amplifier
This SET5 amp is perfect for a first-rate solitary practice amp. The amp gives a top of the class power and uses an 8-inch premium speaker. It delivers you a Californian vintage tone and suitable amp for genres like surf rock and jazz.
The product is designed in a compact size and is lightweight. It has a significant bedroom level volume, but it’s 115V provides a peak volume that can break up pretty well. The amp is also well-made and easy to use.
Its classic black look with a rugged appeal gives it an attractive and aesthetically pleasing nature. The tone of this amp is diverse, yet simple too.
Marshall DSL5CR 5W Combo Tube Amplifier
- Adjustable power output. Softube Emulated output
- Celestion then-30 speaker
- Tonal improvements
- 2 x ECC83 and 1 x Bh7
Meet the most versatile amp ever made. This product is suitable for genres like blues, rock, metal and the genre of your own making. The amp does not come at a reasonable price, but its quality gives justice to the price offered.
It is compact and its controls are very influential. The amp is built with effective loops and an impressive reverb. The adjustable power level gives a wide volume of sound for a 5-watt amp.
The vintage look and craftsmanship of Marshall is well-known and loved by many melomaniacs.
Maintenance Of Amps
The only professional maintenance that a tube amp goes through is replacing the electrolytic capacitor after 5 or 10 years. Some amps will be an old-but-gold type of product, even after 30 years.
There are some tips you can follow to take care of your tube amps and extend their lifespan.
- Let your amp warm-up for at least 2 minutes before using.
- Do not mix up the tube types. If you are replacing the tubes, you must replace the whole set too.
- Always ensure that the base of the tube lines is lined up correctly and the base is fitted on the amplifier properly.
- Allow the amp to cool down for 15 minutes before moving it.
- Try to use the top of the notch signal and speaker leads and always check their status.
- Never store your amp in a damp location.
- Make sure the amplifier has the accurate impedance level to the cabinets being used.
Things such as tone, power level, adjustability, cost, and many more are essential to consider before buying an amp. A perfect 5-watt tube amp must give you a high-definition sound so that you can hear if there is any mistake. It also helps you to quickly focus on the notes you’re playing.
The 5-watt tube amps mentioned in this article are some of the best available on the market now. The list covers products from different price ranges and also covers skill levels from beginner to experienced musicians.