Speakers are generally the transducers that convert audio signal (electrical energy) into sound waves (mechanical wave energy). An amplifier is a device that amplifies the input signal into a more robust version of the same signal as the output. So, they need each other in order to provide a high-definition sound.
Choosing the correct speaker for a particular tube amp might be challenging. This article will help you to ease up the process. In addition, this article will provide you with information about the best speakers for tube amps.
Which Speakers Fit A Particular Tube Amp?
It is advisable to choose a tube amp that delivers power twice the speaker’s continuous power rating. This means that a speaker with an ostensible impedance (8 ohms) and a program rating of 350 watts requires an amplifier with 700 watts of power and an 8-ohm load.
You can connect a tube amp with a random speaker, but it is not recommended as there is the possibility of destruction to both your speaker and the amp. Using an amp that has power less than your speaker will give you the risk of blowing up your amp and speaker.
If you want a speaker that can wake up the neighbors, you can use the speaker with a power rating of 200 watts. However, if you are going to use your speaker to play or listen to light classics, jazz, and other genres that do not tear your home apart, 50 watts is enough.
Things To Consider Before Buying A Speaker
Before buying a speaker, you need to check some of its properties. Buying a speaker without seeing its properties can lead to some severe issues.
While visiting the store, take some of your favorite albums with you and listen to them with the speaker’s support. Check whether the speaker delivers the tone of the sound you expected. Ensure the sound produced is natural to your ears, has a well-balanced quality of the tone, and is simple and easy to use for an extended period without any wear and tear.
There are various types of speakers, including satellite, sound-bar, portable, floor-standing, and many more. Some require an installation process to fix it into the wall or ceiling, and some can be simply placed and plugged in. Speakers also come with or without wires.
You need to know the dimensions, materials, and contents of the room in which you will place the speaker because it can affect the audio. For example, things like rugs, cushions and carpets can absorb the sound and furniture, bare floors, and exposed walls will reflect the sound. So, choose a speaker that is compatible with your room situation.
Matching With The Right Tube Amp
As we discussed before, the type of tube amp you are using is crucial to consider before buying the speaker. It would be best to find a matching speaker for the amplifier to deliver the right amount of power.
Best Speakers For Tube Amps
Here are the best speakers suitable for tube amps.
Polk Audio TSi500 High-Performance Tower Speakers
- This Bundle Includes (2) Items: (2) Polk Audio TSi500 High Performance Tower Speakers
- Single versatile high-performance floorstanding loudspeaker
- Equipped with 1-Inch silk/polymer composite Dynamic Balance dome tweeter
- Frequency response: 28Hz-25kHz
- Equipped with four 6.5-Inch diameter bi-laminate organic fiber cone woofers
This special-made speaker is made of silk dome tweeter with the intention to deliver you a detailed and high-quality sound. It also offers a more profound bass to create the best sound experience.
It is good in appeal and compact in size. The speaker is built tall rather than wide to give you more space. Also, the product does not produce vibration, which can be distracting.
However, sometimes it takes time to warm up and does not have that high-quality sound that others do. Apart from that, this product is a good choice.
Klipsch RF-62 II Reference Series Floorstanding Loudspeakers
- A great balance of performance and value
- Fills large rooms with outstanding sound reproduction
- Equally impressive with music and movies
- Highly efficient design produces more output using less energy
- Accurate, non-fatiguing sound provides hours of listening pleasure
This product delivers high-quality sound as promised. When floor-standing, it does not take up space. It also comes at an affordable price. The speaker is made with a Linear Travel Suspension horn-loaded tweeter made of titanium to provide the best possible sound.
This speaker has a non-fatiguing sound, giving you a crystal-clear experience. Additionally, the product is in fantastic design and is attractive too.
But, some customers have complained about the lack of bass sound in their speakers. You need to keep in mind that the speaker must be placed a little away from the wall.
Klipsch R-41M Powerful Detailed Bookshelf Home Speakers
- Single 4" spun-copper IMG woofer
- 1" aluminum LTS tweeter mated to a 90x90 square Tractrix Horn
- 68 hertz - 21 kilohertz +/- 3dB; Nominal impedance - 8 ohms; Compatible crossover frequency – 1,730 hertz
- Sensitivity 90dB
- 200 watts power handling
This speaker is also made of titanium tweeter to give you a powerful high-quality sound. It will be perfect for placing in the bedroom, living room, and even in the kitchen. You can move it to any place you want.
It is compact in size and designed with durable materials. The product also provides you with a decent amount of bass sound.
However, this speaker is not suitable for a mid-range dip, causing the sound to be irritating. But, it is worth your money because of its great appeal, high-quality sound, and bass.
Polk Audio T50 150 Watt Home Theater Floor Standing Tower Speaker
- GET SUPERIOR HOME THEATER EXPERIENCE WITH IMMERSIVE SURROUND SOUND & HI-RES AUDIO. Featuring a 1" tweeter, a 6.5" Driver and (2) 6.5" Bass Radiators. The 2 bass radiators augment the main woofer and produce a well-balanced, natural warm sound reaching the far corners of the room
- AMPLIFY YOUR MOVIE, MUSIC AND GAMING EXPERIENCE with this T-series speaker that not only sounds brilliant but also heightens your audio experience. Fill any small to medium sized room, produce captivating lifelike sound, which pulls you right into the heart of the action
- CREATE A FULL-FLEDGED 5.1 HOME THEATER SETUP with the complete range of T-series speakers from Polk with two T50 Tower Speakers, one T30 Center Channel, two T15 Bookshelf speakers and a subwoofer
- Polk speakers are COMPATIBLE WITH MOST HOME THEATER AV RECEIVERS giving you many setup arrangement options - in single or multi-room with 2.0, 2.1, 3.1 systems or an immersive 5.1, 7.1 or 9.1 setup
- POLK'S UNMATCHED QUALITY AT AN AFFORDABLE PRICE. With these value-priced speakers, you can now enjoy premium acoustics, high quality construction, easy setup and a spectacular theater experience right at home
This product is popular because it gives a superior home theater experience with engaging surround sound and high-resolution audio. It consists of 2 bass radiators to create a balanced warm sound that reaches every corner of the room.
It comes at a reasonable price and it is also easy to set up. This speaker is compatible with most tube amps.
Some customers complain that they received damaged products. Other than that, this product is a recommendable one for you.
Recommended Speaker Sizes
Most speakers are in a standard size of 8 inches to 10 inches if you consider a low-watt tube amp. These small speakers are a perfect match for studio use because their tone is concentrated and significantly responds to high-end frequencies.
While speakers in sizes ranging from 12 inches to 15 inches are well-known for their response to the low-end frequencies. Speakers with built-in EQ are like a bonus to create the sound you desire, no matter what the speaker size is.
All the speakers mentioned here are good at their job and do not get in the way of tube amps. These speakers definitely won’t take away the power that the amp will offer. They are easy to use. It is also easy to link them to your home theatre system.
If you are looking for a speaker that produces high-quality sound without considering the price, you should go for the Klipsch RF-62 II.
If you want a speaker with a budget-friendly nature, you should go for the Klipsch R-41M. It provides you with a reasonable quality of sound and also comes at a low price.